Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Left My Heart in the Theatre ...


No, now, I mean it literally.

I wear two hearts around my neck. Chained, silver. One is hollow and intricately detailed, the other tiny and slightly hollow.

I left one in the dressing room Sunday after my recent performance.

I fell in love this weekend.

I bought that heart in North Carolina. I know, it sounds like a song cue … but it isn’t. My niece, Eliza, picked it out. It was purchased at a time in my life in which I needed comfort, needed definition, needed to wear my heart on the outside.

I have always more or less done that in life. I’m very emotionally based and, you know, from my previous blogs … I cry easily.

(Funny that I can cry pretty easily on stage. One production I asked the director if he wanted me to cry during this one moment in a scene. “Well, if you can,” he said. “How much?” I asked. “What?” he said. “How much crying?” I said. “Enough to make me want to hug you, but not so much that I see snot running down your face.” “Got it. Done.” And it was … )

But that necklace … my heart … isn’t on the outside anymore.

Somebody has it. I thought you should know.

3 comments:

  1. Leslie has a heart that is fragile and needs someone to take of her heart and handle her heart with the utmost care. Leslie needs to know that she has someone who will do this for her and that someone is me. I love you Leslie Frances Hardy and I will take care of your heart.

    Gerald Jerry Bunky Eugene Lloyd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, let's remember who lost their wedding ring (me) in NC that summer whipping your side of the family in the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete